MURDERED is a mystery novel unlike any other — YOU are the main character. Follow clues, interrogate suspects, and piece together the puzzle before the killer gets away! It’s up to you to solve the case in this action-packed, dark and humorous thriller. Each link represents a choice, and the story evolves based on your decisions.
You’re in a dark alley, a lost tourist in Brazil, when you stumble across a woman’s body and a revolver atop a grisly note which reads, “PICK ME UP.” That’s when you realize you’re not alone….
3 Unique Storylines. Over 50 Possible Endings. Just one question… Could YOU Solve a Murder?
Where to buy:
Want to know more?
What people are saying about MURDERED:
★★★★★ “What an exciting read! The action was non-stop in this choose your own adventure style noir thriller. I loved that I could read and reread it and get a different ending each time.”
★★★★★ “I grew up with Choose Your own Adventure Novels, and I love how the Click Your Poison books take the conceit into the digital age. I also am the writer of Return to House on Haunted, the first movie to use branching technology (which is a fancy Hollywood way of saying the movie boasts a ‘choose your own adventure’ feature). In other words, this genre has been on my brain for a while. On one level it is a gimmick but in the skilled hands of this writer, you get a real novel that splices off into a series of different scenarios, a gripping mystery packed with action set against an exotic Brazilian backdrop. This is a novel that you control. Or is it the other way around? A ton of fun that brought back a lot of memories of those old books. A great read(s)!!”
★★★★★ “First off I love to read a good murder mystery. Murdered (Click Your Poison) is a choose your path adventure. With Murdered you get not only a good murder mystery but you get to investigate the murder and choose which direction the investigation takes. I am very impressed by how well done the book is and the different paths you are given. I have since read through it once and I can not wait to read it again and choose to follow a different path to see where that will lead. I highly recommend this book!”
MURDERED: THE BOOK CLUB READER’S GUIDE
SPOILER ALERT: Caution, if you want a true Monet Experience, avoid these questions until after you’ve read through the book several times.
Take 1-2 weeks, progress through as many iterations of MURDERED as you can, while keeping the following questions in mind. Then, meet up with your reader’s group and discuss:
1) Was your first inclination to pick up the revolver? Why or why not?
2) Discuss your impressions of Agents Bertram and Danly. Compare and contrast the two men’s styles.
3) What was the first ending you discovered? Share your experiences with the group.
4) What would you say was the “best ending” you found? Talk about solving the mystery.
5) There are certain expected norms in mystery fiction. To what extent did MURDERED uphold these traditions? Has Schannep added anything new to the genre?
6) Both the villains and heroes in this story work outside the confines of the law. What does this say about the value of the organization vs the individual?
7) There are several vignettes off the beaten path. What was your favorite “hidden gem”?
8) A major theme in MURDERED is that of environmentalism versus commerce. Is it possible to find a happy medium? Or will these two values always be at odds?
9) In what ways does the lawless aspects of Brazil impact the story? Did you get a dark or “noir” feel (much like 1950s LA where detectives worked outside the law)?
10) How did you feel about being “in control” of the story? Did you feel more or less involved than you do with traditional books?
11) Did you feel you were rewarded for altruistic or selfish actions? For reserved or brazen choices? Defend your positions.
12) After reading this book, are you more or less likely to visit Brazil? Why?
MURDERED: A TRAVEL GUIDE?
It’s true. You can use MURDERED as a guide to travel and see Brazil. All the locations were meticulously researched, to include hotels & hostels where you can really stay, and restaurants where you can really eat.
Keep in mind, this information was accurate as of 2013, but if you visit this place, you might just find a familiar paperback.
Not the globetrotting type? Then follow me on my adventures! My wife and I made this trip in 2015 and I blogged about it at the time. You can see those posts here.
Care to join me? Have you seen the sights and Rio nights? Let me know!
Where to buy:
Why can’t I buy this in ePub format? It’s not even in the Kobo store. My only option appears to be to spend $20 and buy a paperback version from Amazon Canada? I don’t want to do that.
Hi, Dana. Thanks for your interest in my books. Unfortunately, there is no ePub commercially available at this time. With Amazon’s robust Netflix-esque “Kindle Unlimited” program, and very few sales on platforms like Kobo, Nook, and iTunes, many authors like me felt like it was a smart financial decision to go exclusive with the ‘zon (a requirement to enter KU).
It may not help if you’re anti-Amazonian, but there are free Kindle apps for smartphones, tablet, and PC that will allow you to check out the ebook.